Industry: Temporary Access Solutions for Energy Infrastructure
Acquisition Date: Company established in 1976 by the Jones family and cultivated through the decades.
Status: Majority interest sold in 2018.
The tradition of building mats began under the leadership of Brett Jones, who started DixieMat. With years of experience in the timber business, Brett began building hardwood mats to support the construction and pipeline industries.
With the on-going demand from both the midstream construction and transmission and distribution industries, DixieMat merged with their long-time partner, Beasley Forest Products- matting division in 2016. The two companies rebranded the matting company which is today known as YAK ACCESS.
Yak Access Case Study
Yak Access is the leading provider of temporary access solutions to the energy infrastructure industry.
Unrivaled in scale and breadth of solutions, Yak Access was built under the visionary ownership and leadership of Jonathan Jones.
The company comprises five related businesses – Yak Mat, New South Access and Environmental Solutions, BluRoc, and Klein Restoration Services – offering a full suite of solutions, including hardwood mats, temporary and permanent access roads, site evaluation, design and installation of access plans, and mat removal.
Yak Access & Jones
Jones Value Creation
- Built a culture and values-driven organization which is routinely named as one of Mississippi’s “Best Places to Work”
- Developed strategic relationships with the tier-one infrastructure companies by building a high-powered sales team, and empowering those sales resources with a CRM implementation and by building an industry leading forecasting tool
- Changed the industry’s go-to-market structure by moving from a sale model to lease model, which allowed operators to improve their project cost controls
- Built the industry’s largest mat fleet, providing a competitive advantage over smaller competitors by being able to service the largest and most operationally complex projects
- Invested heavily in product development and technologies, including mat enhancement techniques and RFID tracking, to deliver a higher quality product with better service to the customer
- Closed multiple add-on acquisitions, including NewSouth Access & Environmental Solutions and BluRoc, which enhanced the company’s service offerings and end market diversification
- Orchestrated a merger of equals with Beasley Forest Products, creating the industry’s largest temporary access solutions provider under the new “Yak Access” brand
- Implemented a new ERP system and heavily invested in IT, accounting, marketing, and HR infrastructure
- Retained JP Morgan and successfully exited the majority position to Platinum Equity, a tier-one private equity firm based in Los Angeles, CA
- Retained a material rollover stake in the company and still provides strategic guidance through an ongoing board seat