The Strategic Intent for the Controller is to oversee the day to day financial operations and to lead the finance department. The Controller reports directly to the CFO and oversees financial functions including general accounting, cash application, payables, receivables and credit & collections.
The Controller is seen as the first key management layer for the finance department and is responsible for the efficiency of processes, evaluating & identifying opportunities for the team to operate more effectively and the accuracy & timeliness of financial reporting.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Model, lead, and advocate the Jones Companies’ core values; seeks ways to integrate values in business dealings and strategies; protect the company’s reputation.
- Assist in the management of financial reporting systems & controls to support company strategies, objectives, and policies to ensure compliance with industry & regulatory standards.
- Assist with the annual Company Budget and Capital Plan
- Lead the process of financial reporting for the Executive Management Team, including monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Lead the forecasting of cash flow to meet the organization’s needs.
- Assist in the oversight of all aspects of accounting.
- Assist in the oversight of the financial status of all fixed assets, including assets purchased, leased or acquired by other means.
- Ensure all required permits/licenses are up to date and renewed on time (tax certificates, business licenses, etc.)
- Assist in developing and coordinating relationships with lending and financial institutions.
- Brings plans for operating efficiency to the attention of the CFO and assists in implementation of developed processes
- 7+ years experience with at least 3 years in a management or supervisory role.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business.
- Transportation industry experience preferred.
- Strong command of systems and analytical tools (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.)
- Experience with Transportation Management Systems and Great Plains accounting is preferred
- Self-Motivated, Humble, Team oriented, Highly Moral